Feliz Día de San Valentín!
Tres Leches Cake – “Three Milks Cake” – is a popular dessert from Mexico and Latin America. This rich cake oozes with the goodness of three milks: Sweetened condensed milk, Evaporated milk and cream. Ever since I had this cake at the Cafe Versailles in Miami, I couldn’t wait to make it at home. If you have a sweet tooth and like milk, you’ll love this cake.
Feliz Día de los Enamorados!
For the Cake:
1 cup Flour
1 tea spoon Baking powder
1 tea spoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Sugar
¼ cup milk
For the Tres Leches (Three milks) Mix:
1 ½ cup evaporated milk ( I boiled 2 cups milk for about 20 minutes; You can use store-bought evaporated milk)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk (I used nestle brand available in a can)
½ cup cream
For the Icing:
1 cup whipping cream
3 table spoon sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
3. In a wide bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
4. Separate egg whites and yolks.
5. In a blender, mix yolks and ½ cup sugar for about 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup milk and the vanilla extract and stir into the flour mixture gently.
6. Similarly, whip Egg whites and ½ cup of sugar for about 3 minutes and stir into the flour mixture gently.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes. 8. Keep an eye on the cake after 25 minutes. You will see the cake browning lightly soon after you put it into the oven. Don’t get alarmed.
Take the cake out from the oven and let it cool.
9. As the cake cools, mix the three milks.
10. Prick the cake all over with a fork (7-8 times)
11. Pour the three milks all over the cake, including the slides.
For the icing:
12. Whip the cream with sugar for 2-3 minutes until stiff. Spread it on the top and sides of the cake.
13. At this time, if the presentation is important, transfer the cake to a decorative tray/plate, along with the extra milk floating on the sides. Make sure you pour the milk gently on the sides of the cake.
You can decorate the top of the cake with strawberries or raspberries.
14. Keep the cake in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.
15. To serve, cut a slice of the cake, arrange it on the serving dish and drizzle 2-3 table spoon of the milk sauce on the sides.