A while back I had bought these baby potatoes to make this spicy curry my mom used to make for us. I enthusiastically recreated that recipe today. If you like potatoes, you will love this curry.
Approx. 20 baby potatoes
Note: Avoid potatoes that turn out soft and creamy when cooked.
4 ripe tomatoes chopped into tiny pieces (or crush them in food processor)
2 medium size onions chopped finely (food processor or the small bowl of hand blender works really well)
4-5 green chilies chopped
1/2 tea spoon grated ginger
1/4 tea spoon turmeric
1/4 tea spoon cumin seeds
1 tea spoon red chili powder
1/2 tea spoon garam masala powder
2 sprigs curry leaves chopped into tiny pieces
1 small bunch cilantro/hara dhaniya chopped finely
1 + 1/2 tea spoon salt
1. Peel potatoes and shallow fry in 1/4 cup of medium-hot oil for about 10 minutes. Turn them a few times in between.
2. In a broad pan or kadhai, heat 2-3 table spoon of oil and add green chilies, cumin seeds, ginger, and onions. Fry for about 10 minutes until onions are properly cooked.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder, curry leaves, cilantro and salt.
4. Mix well and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes stirring every now and then.
5. Prick each potato with a fork a few times. This will allow the masala to seep in. Add the potatoes to the masala mix along with the oil in which they were cooked. Mix well so that each potoato is well coated with masala paste.
6. Cook for 7-8 minutes and take the potatoes off the stove.