This pesto sauce is a regular in my kitchen now. So far I have used it in 8 to 10 different types of sandwiches, pastas, piadine, and shallow-fried potatoes. Making it is a breeze esp. if you have a small food processor. I used the small bowl that came with my Cuisinart hand blender. Once you have all the ingredients at hand, you will have your pesto sauce ready in just about 5 minutes.
2 Cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 tea spoon crushed black peeper (Optional)
1/4 tea spoon red pepper flakes (Optional)
Lemon juice (approx. 1 tbsp)
1/4 tea spoon sea salt/ table salt
1. Place basil, walnuts and garlic in food processor.
2. Blend until almost smooth while gradually adding olive oil. (Approx. 1-2 minutes)
3. Add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, black pepper and red pepper. Blend for 3-4 seconds.
4. Empty pesto sauce into a bowl and stir in lemon juice and salt.
5. Taste and add more salt if needed.