Today is a great day for India. A billion people are celebrating the Indian victory in the 2011 Cricket World Cup Finals.
तो चलो, इस मीठे अवसर पर बनाते हैं मीठे चावल!
- 1 cup basmati rice cooked in 2 + 1/2 cups water
- 1 + 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh, grated coconut
- 1/3 cup ghee
- 1 big, very generous pinch of kesar/saffron soaked in 1/8 cup warm water
- 1/2 tea spoon powdered cardamom
- 6 cloves, 1/4 cup each cashews and raisins fried in 1 table spoon ghee
- Soak rice in water for about 15 minutes and then cook with 2 1/4 cup water. I cook it covered, on low heat. It takes about 20 minutes. As soon as all the water is absorbed. shut the stove off.
- Keep the rice aside, covered, for about 10 minutes. Then gently stir it to get the air out.
- In a big pan, bring 3/4 cup water to boil.
- Add sugar and coconut to the boiling water and cook on low heat for about 12 minutes until nice aroma emanates from the mixture.
- Add Cooked rice to this mixture and add 1/3 cup ghee.
- Mix well, and add saffron water and cardamom.
- On low heat, cook the mixture for about 15 minutes stirring every 10-15 seconds.
- By this time rice will have soaked all the sweet liquid.
- Add raisins, cashews and cloves.
Variation: Zest of a lemon or half an orange adds a wonderful aroma to this sweet dish. Add it at the very end, just before adding raisins and cashews.